9.17.2008

MUNICH DAY 2


Wednesday

Another good weather day for sightseeing. So off to the city palace, the Residenz. Starting with the Treasury was productive. The collection of crown jewels in Bavaria is intact since they have never had a revolution. Some goodies date back to year 800 !

In England the Cromwell years took care of the old stuff when he melted down the gold and sold off Charles I's paintings, etc.. Here in Munich there are 2 crowns belonging to English queens of the 1300s. The British crown jewels nowadays are copies and recent constuctions.

Then I toured the main palace rooms - NOT all original because of the unpleasantness of 1939-1945. Air raids remodelled most of Munich.


The big finale was to be the Frauenkirche concert but the published start time was off by one hour. It sounded like a good one through the locked cathedral door, however.

Tomorrow I will tackle the main art gallery.

No comments: